Whole Wheat Biscuits
ACTIVE TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
SERVINGS: 8 biscuits
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, cold, unsalted
- 1 cup milk, any kind
In a medium sized bowl combine the dry ingredients. Mix well with whisk or fork.
Cut the ½ stick butter into little pea sized pieces and then mix the pieces into the flour mixture.
Using a fork or pastry blender, try to mash the butter pieces as you mix it together with the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. It is okay if the outcome just looks like the same pea sized pieces of butter covered with flour
Then pour in the milk and mix it all together. Knead the dough with your hands 8 to 10 times (for best results do not over-knead the dough) and then turn out onto a floured surface (like a counter or cutting board).
Pat it out flat with your hands until the dough is a somewhat even ¾-inch thickness (sprinkle with a little flour if necessary).
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out biscuit rounds.
- Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet and bake at 450 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden brown.