Perfect Sushi Rice
YIELD 4cups rice
- 2cups sushi rice
- Rinse the rice only 3-5 times. The water does NOT have to run clear.
- Place rice to drain in a strainer.
- Drain well.
- While rice is draining, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and mirin together in a bowl and mix well.
- Add rice and water to a pot.
- Bring quickly to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and DON’T touch it until the end, NO PEEKING.
- Cook for 15 minutes before removing the pot from the heat but keep the lid CLOSED.
- Let rice rest for 10 min and then remove the cover.
- Place in a glass dish to cool and lightly fan the rice while adding the vinegar mixture.
- Mix rice gently, careful not to break it.
California roll (Half sheet nori)
Yield 4 rolls
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 4 sheets nori
- 1/2 batch sushi rice, recipe follows
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 4 crabsticks, torn into pieces
- Pickled ginger, for serving
- Wasabi, for serving
- Soy sauce, for serving
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the avocado to prevent browning.
- Cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap.
- Cut nori sheets in half crosswise.
- Lay 1 sheet of nori, shiny side down, on the plastic covered mat.
- Wet your fingers with water and spread about 1/2 cup of the rice evenly onto the nori.
- Sprinkle the rice with sesame seeds. Turn the sheet of nori over so that the rice side is down.
- Place 1/8 of the cucumber, avocado and crab sticks in the center of the sheet. Grab the edge of the mat closest to you, keeping the fillings in place with your fingers, and roll it into a tight cylinder, using the mat to shape the cylinder.
- Pull away the mat and set aside.
- Place roe on top of sushi roll and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Cut roll into 6 pieces.
- Serve with pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.
Salmon and Tuna Sushi Roll (Full sheet nori)
- 5 sheets nori
- 2 cups sushi rice, recipe follows
- 2 ounces sushi-grade tuna, cut into1/4 by 1/2 by 3-inch strips
- 2 ounces smoked salmon, cut into1/4 by 1/2 by 3-inch strips
- 1 hot house cucumber, julienne
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienne
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 oz cream cheese cut into strips
- Place a nori sheet lengthwise on a bamboo rolling mat, shiny-side down. Position the sheet about 1-inch from the edge of the mat closest to you and leave some of the bamboo mat exposed on either side of the nori sheet.
- Wet your hands in cool water and take a handful of sushi rice.
- Place the rice in the center of the nori and use your fingers to spread the rice evenly over the nori. Be sure to leave a 3/4-inch strip of nori uncovered on the far side.
- Place tuna strips and some julienne vegetable, cucumber or avocado, and cream cheese along the center of the rice.
- Squeeze a thin straight line of sushi sauce across the fish
- Be careful not to overfill the nori.
- Place your fingertips over the fillings to hold them in place. Then, use your thumbs to lift up the edge of the bamboo rolling mat closest to you.
- Begin rolling the mat away from you, while applying pressure to the fillings to keep the roll firm.
- Roll the mat over slowly until it covers the rice and the near and far sides of rice join, still leaving the 3/4-inch strip of nori, rice-free, exposed. While holding the bamboo mat in position, apply pressure to the roll with your fingers to make the roll firm.
- Slice the roll in half, then cut both rolls twice to make 6 equal sized pieces.
- 1 sheet nori
- 1 1⁄2 ounces smoked salmon or tuna
- 1⁄2 small cucumber
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- Spread out 3/4 to 1 cup of cooked rice per sheet of Nori (seaweed paper). Use wet hands and spread around the whole sheet leaving a 1 inch border on the bottom.
- Turn the sheet over so the rice is facing the plastic wrap and the nori with nothing on it is facing up. Make sure the 1inch rice free border is on the bottom.
- 1/3 of the way up from the bottom smear a line of cream cheese.
- Place Salmon on top of the cream cheese.
- Cut Cucumber into small strips and lay beside the Salmon.
- Fold the bottom of the sheet over the rice and continue rolling into a log.
- Cut with a wet serrated blade.