Frosted Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing
Yield: About 6 to 8 large cookies
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 each egg
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- Bring butter up to room temperature. This will help the sugar and egg incorporate evenly. Do not melt, just leave on the counter until softened.
- In a mixer bowl with paddle attachment: cream together butter and sugar. Beat for about 1 ½ to 2 min until butter and sugar are lighter in color.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then add in your egg.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Sift your flour, salt, and baking powder together. Add to mixer bowl and mix on low speed.
- When the dough just comes together, turn the mixer off.
- Remove dough and roll between two sheets of parchment with a rolling pin.
- Chill dough at least 1 hour to get best cookie shapes.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Cut cookies out of the dough. And place on baking sheet. Chill again if dough is soft.
- Bake for 5 minutes, rotate the cookie sheet then bake for another 5 min. Cookies should be light golden brown on the bottom and light to no color on the top.
- Cool completely before decorating
Royal Icing for Decorating
- 2 Tbsp pasteurized egg whites
- 1-pound powdered sugar
- 1/ tsp cream of tartar
- Water if needed
- In a mixer bowl with whisk attachment. Whip egg whites until frothy
- Add in powdered sugar and cream of tartar.
- Once the sugar and eggs are together, turn up the speed to medium high and beat until peaks are stiffened.
- Add water if needed but check consistency before adding any. The mixture should be very thick!
Save in airtight container before using for decorating. Color as desired.