- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 each 15 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- In a pot heat the oil over a medium-high flame.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, oregano, and basil and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 2 hours. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste.